Home > Services > Engine Services > Ultrasonic Inspection
Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)
Ultrasonic Inspection (UT) emits high frequency sound energy, which is a very useful and versatile Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) method.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Inspection:
- • Sensitive to both surface and subsurface flaws
- • Depth of penetration for flaw detection or measurement is superior to other NDT methods
- • Only single-sided access is needed when certain probes are used
- • It is highly accurate in determining position and estimating size and shape of flaw
- • Minimal preparation is required
- • Electronic equipment provides instantaneous results
- • Detailed images can be produced for thorough evaluations
- • Can be adapted to multiple industrial uses, such as thickness measurement and flaw detection
Ultrasonic testing has been successfully implemented in various major industries today because it is one of the most accurate inspection methods available. Motor Services Hugo Stamp is pleased to offer a solid range of testing and flaw detection options in order to support our customers, and assist them in successfully evaluating the condition of their equipment, thereby minimizing or preventing costly and time consuming service failures.
Recommendations for optimal Ultrasonic Inspection Results:
- • Surfaces of material to be tested must be accessible to transmit ultrasound
- • Cast iron and other coarse grained materials are difficult to inspect due to low sound transmission and high signal noise, however alternate testing methods are available for cast iron